Fellow Optimist Leaders of the Colorado/Wyoming District;
Recently I was asked the question “What does the Foundation do for us?” and after some thought I have put together a short answer to that very important question. Whether you are a club President or the Governor of the District we are all in this together, providing “Hope and a Positive Vision” to kids of all ages. If, however, we did not have the OI Foundation on our side we certainly would be limited in doing so.
So, here we go…. the Foundation provides:
- Funds for the 4 District Scholarships Contests ($10,000)
- The Club Pass-Thru Grant Program is the 501(c)(3) arm of Optimist International for donations from individuals or businesses given to the club and a receipt is supplied to the donor at the end of the year for tax purposes.
- The Club Campaign Fund is used by clubs to earn 3% interest on savings deposited with the OI Foundation.
- The Club Grant Program provides $500 grants to clubs who start a new program to serve the community.
- All Club Services materials, brochures, etc. for programs like; Tri-Star Skills Contests, Bike Safety, Internet Safety, etc.
- The Foundation can assist members who wish to satisfy estate planning goals such as lifetime or testamentary charitable gifts.
It is worthy to note that the OI Foundation meets the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance Standards for charitable accountability. If you or your club have not yet stepped up to make your mark on this worthy cause, please consider doing so now. I have attached a suggested form that can be use by clubs and of course I have other amounts from $36.50 (or $36.60 for Leap-Year) Dime-A-Day to whatever you are comfortable with.
I hope this helps. I am available to come to a club meeting and flesh out any of the above topics for your members. Thank you for helping us “Bring Out The Best In Kids” so they can bring out the best in us.
2015-16 District Foundation Representative
CO/WY District CCDHH Chair
Academy Optimist Club Distinguished Secretary/Treasurer
Past District Governor 2008-09